It inherits features from both phone series, like a dual-lens camera, water resistance, a fingerprint scanner and a lot of the same design cues. Inside is where it sets itself apart, with its mid-range Snapdragon 630 chipset.
There is something else special about the Moto X: it’s the first non-Google Android One phone in the Western world, and it’s eligible for Google’s Project Fimobile network. There’s also a version available through Amazon Prime in the US for a discounted price, if you don’t mind lockscreen ads.
The Moto X4 Android One model has Google Play Protect’s built-in, monthly security updates and, more importantly, two years of operating system upgrades. You’ll see it get Android P and Android Q before other phones.
Other than those features of the Android One model, most versions of the Moto X4 are similar, with models outside of the US having an option for more storage and slightly increased memory.
Any of the Moto X4 variants face serious competition from rival handsets like the OnePlus 5 at a slight uptick in price and even Motorola’s own smartphone lineup. The Moto Z2 Play, for example, benefits from the use of MotoMods, and the price is hardly any different. There are some likable features here, but not enough to recommend over a phone at a very similar price point.
- Aluminum frame
- Gorilla Glass 3 front and back
- IP68 rating
- 5.2" LTPS IPS LCD,
- 1,920x1,080px resolution
- Main camera: 12MP
- 1.4µm pixels
- f/2.0 aperture
- dual pixel autofocus; dual tone
- dual LED flash; 2160p video recording
- Secondary camera: 12MP
- 1.12µm pixels
- f/2.2 aperture; ultra wide-angle (120° FOV).
- 16MP, 1.0µm pixels
- f/2.0 aperture; fixed focus; single LED flash; 1080p/30fps video recording. 4MP Adaptive low light mode
- Android 7.1.1 Nougat; Moto experience customizations. Android One version on some markets.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 630: octa-core 2.2GHz Cortex-A53 CPU, Adreno 508 GPU.
- 3GB/4GB of RAM; 32GB/64GB of storage; microSD slot.
- 3,000mAh Li-Ion (sealed); 15W TurboPower fast charging (Qualcomm QuickCharge 4 compatible).
- Single SIM and dual SIM versions, market dependent; Cat. 13/12 LTE (600Mbps/150Mbps), market dependent; USB Type-C (v2.0); Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; GPS, GLONASS, Galileo; NFC; Bluetooth 4.2, Bluetooth 5 with Oreo update.
- Front-mounted fingerprint sensor
- FM radio, 3.5mm jack
- front-firing single speaker.
How did you See This Phone Features?